Join the Wildcats Sled Hockey Team
as they take on Stark County Veteran Celebrities
on Saturday, September 30, 4:00 p.m. at the
Center Ice Sports Complex in North Canton
A five-man detail of the 555th Honors Detachment representing all five branches of service will be on hand to present the colors for the singing of the national anthem.
Confirmed participants include (*indicates veteran):
- Representative Christina Hagan
- Trevor Meyer, Warrior Beat*
- Bryan Bowman, Congressman Renacci’s Office*
- North Canton Mayor David Held
- Patrice Wood, Disabled Veterans Outreach
- Tim Novelli, Patriot Project
- Charles Zollicoffer, Stark Co. Veterans Service Commission*
- Derek Gordon, Canton Parks Director
- Eric Whittington, Team Red, White and Blue*
- Jeremiah Shutty, Marine Veteran*
- Tom Schervish, Managing Director of Center Ice Sports Complex
The purpose of the event is to highlight adaptive sport opportunities for injured veterans and service members. Spectators, including injured veterans, will have the opportunity to “try sled hockey” directly after the game. A MAPS military chopper will be on display. The event is sponsored by Center Ice Sports Complex and Mission BBQ. Center Ice Sports Complex has generously provided the ice time, facilities and staff to host the event.
Admission: $5.00, free for veterans.
About Sled Hockey: Sled hockey makes hockey accessible for individuals with physical disabilities by utilizing a sled. The sled consists of a bucket that the user sits in and a frame for supporting the user’s legs. Participants use two short sticks that have picks on the ends for propelling across the ice. The rules are similar to stand up hockey and is open to both males and females with physical disabilities including spinal cord injuries, amputees, etc.
Partnership: Download the partnership form here.
Flyer: Download the event flyer here.