ASPO has implemented the first Ohio Interscholastic Wheelchair Basketball Teams in Ohio:
- Wooster Wheelchair Generals, Wooster City School District (began 2015-2016 school year)
- Massillon Wheelchair Tigers, Massillon City School District (began 2016-2017 school year)
- Tallmadge Wheelchair Blue Devils, Tallmadge City School District (began 2017-2018 school year)
- Austintown Wheelchair Falcons, Austintown Local School District (began 2017-2018 school year)
- GlenOak Wheelchair Eagles, Plain Local School District (began 2017-2018 school year)
- Jackson Wheelchair Polar Bears, Jackson Local School District (began 2019-2020 school year)
The Ohio Interscholastic Wheelchair Basketball teams are part of a larger initiative meant to increase the athletic opportunities for students with disabilities in Ohio schools as recommended by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. In June of 2015, ASPO was allocated funding from the State FY16/FY17 budgets to create an adaptive sports school based pilot program in a partnering district during the 2015-2016 school year and a second in the 2016-2017 school year. The goal of the pilot is to create a scalable program that can be duplicated in other school districts across Ohio. Additional support for the pilot program was provided by Invacare Corporation, the Paul and Carol David Foundation, the Heisman Trophy Trust, Buckeye Health and Rite Aid Foundation.
School Districts: ASPO is willing to meet with you to discuss implementing this program in your school district. Support and training is provided. Contact Info@AdaptiveSportsOhio.org or 330-985-0085 to learn more.