About Adaptive Kayaking:
Through a generous grant from ODNR, ASPO is pleased to offer kayaking to individuals with disabilities. ASPO has tandem and single kayaks with adaptive seat backs, outriggers and adaptive paddles.
Sessions are for 1.25 hours which includes loading and unloading, 20 minutes of instruction and 45 minutes on the water. Repeat attendees who have previously had instruction will have more time on the water. Each day there will be 8 slots for kayaking (4 – single kayak, 4 – tandem) and except when dates indicate kayaking only, there will be 4 slots available for sailing. If slots are available, family and friends of participants with disabilities may sign up to kayak/sail. If no one has signed up for the second session, you can remain on the water for an additional hour.
Download the flyer here.
Location:Nimisila Reservoir, 5243 Christman Road, Akron, Ohio 44319. Please note: GPS will get you close to the location, however, you will need to look for parking lot C-6, which is near the intersection of Christman and Killinger Roads.
- All equipment is provided including life jackets.
- 2 single kayaks, 2 tandem kayaks, and 2 sailboats are available
- Kayaks are outfitted with adaptive seats and outriggers so no worries about capsizing.
- Traditional paddles are available as well as adaptive paddles for individuals with limited hand function.
- Bring your own drinking water, sunscreen, hat, etc .
- Attendees will be provided a free book “Canoeing and Kayaking for People with Disabilities.” (Limited quantities.)
Restrooms: An outhouse is located near the parking lot which is not ideal but if necessary can be used (bring hand sanitizer).
Cancellation Policy: We will make every effort to cancel sessions due to weather at least two hours before they start. However, make sure to provide your cell phone during sign up so that we can notify you of last minute cancellations.
Volunteers needed: ASPO is in need of volunteers to assist with the adaptive sailing/kayaking sessions. Duties include:
- getting sailboats/kayaks ready for each session
- assisting participants in and out of boats
- accompanying adaptive sailors/paddlers as needed
- unrig sailboats after the last session
- load boats back into trailer
To sign up to volunteer at a session, please click on the dates above.